Acupuncture is very helpful in the treatment of many respiratory conditions.
Common respiratory problems which acupuncture treats include coughing, breathing difficulties (asthma), chest infections and bronchitis.
There are many different types of cough:
- A dry, hacking cough
- A wet “productive” cough,
- A cough that is worse at night or worse in the day,
- A cough with an infection or without,
- A cough that is acute or chronic.
The nature of the cough along with other accompanying symptoms will explain the nature of the illness from which the patient is suffering.
Practitioners use specific diagnostic methods to determine the root cause of the respiratory issue, and then prescribe an acupuncture programme to treat the presenting problem.
When designing a treatment for cough, the acupuncturist will focus on:
- Alleviating cough and other symptoms,
- Strengthening the immune system,
- Clearing infection,
- Promoting tissue repair and organ function.