Asthma is a disease which is characterized by breathing difficulties.
Respiratory symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath,
- Chest tightness,
- Cough which varies in intensity and over time,
- Pressure on airflow during exhalation.
Symptoms may be triggered by respiratory infections, allergens or changes in the weather.
In the treatment of asthma, acupuncture:
- Boosts the immune system to reduce inflammation and to clear mucus build-up,
- Reduces discomfort, tightness, sensitivity and pain in the chest and lungs,
- Opens up air cells to increase ease of breathing,
- Calms and strengthens the respiratory system to prevent symptoms from recurring in the future.
Combined with herbs, acupuncture can modulate the immune response to reduce the effect of inflammation in the chest and lungs.