Autoimmune disease occurs when our immune system mistakenly identifies a part of our body as harmful and attacks that tissue. Underlying autoimmune disorders can be triggered by bacteria, viruses, toxins, changes in climate, stress, emotional imbalance and poor nutrition.
There are over 100 disorders of the immune system.
Symptoms of these illnesses vary but often include:
- tingling and numbness in the hands and feet.
- joint and muscle pain.
- general muscle weakness.
- low grade fever.
- weakness and fatigue.
- difficulties with concentration.
- changes in mood.
Acupuncture acts to support the immune system to:
- Enhance natural immunity by stimulating the body’s innate healing abilities to relieve pain, restore balance and build resistance.
- Deal with the root causes of illness along with presented symptoms.
- Regulate the skin and mucous membranes which forms a protective layer and reverses the body’s sensitivity to illness triggers.
- Decrease the experience of pain and enhance overall immunity.
- Rebuild the underlying energy system to counter the effects of stress, weakness, fatigue and loss of concentration.
- Cause interactions between the immune system, the endocrine system and the nervous system to improve mood and general well being.
- Strengthen natural immunity to prevent the occurrence of future illness.
In addition to acupuncture, treatment programmes may involve a combination of therapies including stress reducing exercises, moderate physical activity, herbal medicine, nutritional support and bodywork.