Acupuncture treats digestive problems holistically; treating the whole individual rather than the illness. The energy channels (known as meridians) of the spleen, the liver, the large intestine and the small intestine are implicated in many disorders of the digestive system.
The goal of acupuncture is to support the digestive system by restoring balance within these systems, thereby reducing and sometimes eliminating the symptoms entirely.
For digestion issues, acupuncture:
- reduces bloating, stomach pain and discomfort.
- directly treats the gastro-intestinal tract by reducing acid secretion and regulating hormonal imbalances.
- regulates stomach function.
- has an anti-inflammatory effect on immune disorders such as Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis.
- is combined with dietary recommendations to restore stomach health.
- balances weight by modulating lipid metabolism in the stomach.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has reported on the valuable support that acupuncture provides for a range of digestive disorders.